Prof. Martino Di Serio
Room -1Mc17; phone +39-081-674414 Email email@example.com;
Prof. Riccardo Tesser
Room -1Mc14; phone +39-081-674012 Email firstname.lastname@example.org;
Prof. Salvatore Andini
Room -1Mc16; phone +39-081-674347 Email email@example.com;
Dr. Vincenzo Russo
Room -1Mc04; phone +39-081-674347 Email firstname.lastname@example.org;
Dr. Rosa Turco
Room -1Mc04; phone +39-081-674011 Email email@example.com;
Prof. Fabio Montagnaro
Room -1Mc05; phone +39-081-674029 Email firstname.lastname@example.org;
Other Group members:
post-Doc: Rosa Vitiello, Room -1Mc04; phone +39-081-674027 Email: email@example.com, https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7150-4586
PhD Students: Giacomo de Falco, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Carmelina Rossano, Email: email@example.com /
Group web site: http://www.nicl.it/
Chemical Reaction Engineering for Process and Products development
The research activity is devoted to the investigation of reaction mechanism, catalysis and reaction kinetics for a wide range of chemical processes, such as: oxidation, hydrogenation, esterification, transesterification. The experimental research activity is carried out both on a laboratory and pilot scale, giving the possibility to study independently and in detail the chemical-physical phenomena characterizing the reaction network.
In particular the recent processes studies are linked with the development of new concepts in biorefinery.
The group has strong expertise on the design and simulation of multi-phase reactors: competences have been developed for the design and realization of reactors both on a laboratory and pilot scale, focusing on the simulation of multi-phase catalytic reactors (gas-liquid-solid or fluid-solid). Robust calculation tools are available for the rigorous simulation of multi-phase reactors.
Main collaboration: Åbo Akademi University (FI), RIDCI (CN), UNIBO (IT), HNAF (CN), CONSER (IT), DESMET BALLESTRA (IT).
- R. Vitiello, R. Tesser, V. Russo, R. Turco, S. Andini, M. Di Serio, ‘Loop reactor modeling for lubricants synthesis' Chemical Engineering Journal (2017), 329, 295-304.
- V. Russo, D. Masiello, M. Trifuoggi, M. Di Serio, R. Tesser, ‘Design of an adsorption column for methylene blue abatement over silica: from batch to continuous modelling' Chemical Engineering Journal (2016), 302, 287-295.
- V. Russo, T. Kilpio, M. Di Serio, R. Tesser, E. Santacesaria, D. Y. Murzin, T. Salmi, ‘Dynamic non-isothermal trickle bed reactor with both internal diffusion and heat conduction: arabinose hydrogenation as a case study' Chemical Engineering Research and Design (2015), 102, 171-185.
- M. Di Serio, V. Russo, E. Santacesaria, R. Tesser, R. Turco, R. Vitiello, ‘Liquid-liquid-solid model for the epoxidation of soybean oil catalysed by Amberlyst-16' Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (2017), 56(45), 12963-12971.
- R. Turco, R. Tesser, R. Vitiello, V. Russo, S. Andini, M. Di Serio, ‘Synthesis of Biolubricant Basestocks from Epoxidized Soybean Oil' Catalysts (2017), 7, 309.
Design and Operation of Chemical Reactors for Energy Production and Environmental Applications
Key-aspects of this broad research theme concern:
1) gas–solid chemical processes in fluidised bed reactors, also through the use of solar energy (removal of CO2/SO2 from flue gas through lime-based sorbents, solar reactor for calcium looping and thermochemical storage);
2) solids thermoconversion processes for energy production (entrained-flow gasification of biomass under slagging conditions);
3) synthesis of non-traditional binders (through reuse of industrial wastes);
4) adsorption processes in fixed beds (removal of CO2/H2S from flue gas through adsorbents of new generation);
5) fractal dynamics in heterogeneous processes (application to liquid–solid and gas–solid adsorption processes).
These are dealt with an eye on both experimental and modellistic aspects, and are also carried out within research projects. They have been presented to international conferences as Keynote Lectures, and have received awards and recognitions.
Main collaboration: Cranfield University (UK), University of Zaragoza (Spain), CEMEX Switzerland, Università degli Studi di Napoli Parthenope, Università degli Studi della Basilicata.
- C. Tregambi, P. Salatino, R. Solimene, F. Montagnaro, ‘An experimental characterization of Calcium Looping integrated with concentrated solar power' Chemical Engineering Journal (2018), 331, 794-802.
- G. de Falco, M. Barczak, F. Montagnaro, T.J. Bandosz, ‘A new generation of surface active carbon textiles as reactive adsorbents of indoor formaldehyde' ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2018), 10, 8066-8076.
- F.S. Marra, M. Troiano, F. Montagnaro, P. Salatino, R. Solimene, ‘Particle-wall interaction in entrained-flow slagging coal gasifiers: granular flow simulation and experiments in a cold flow model reactor' International Journal of Multiphase Flow (2017), 91, 142-154.
- A. Coppola, E. Gais, G. Mancino, F. Montagnaro, F. Scala, P. Salatino, ‘Effect of steam on the performance of Ca-based sorbents in calcium looping processes' Powder Technology (2017), 316, 578-584.
- F. Montagnaro, M. Balsamo, P. Salatino, ‘A single particle model of lime sulphation with a fractal formulation of product layer diffusion' Chemical Engineering Science (2016), 156, 115-120.